St. Simon’s is a vibrant Anglican Church situated in the heart (and soul) of Oakville. We are looking for a dedicated and conscientious individual to provide janitorial and light building maintenance services. The ideal candidate will be a hard worker with a strong sense of ownership and a knack for DIY. Working 20 hours a week, the Caretaker will be part of a team made up of clergy, a bookkeeper and a parish administrator. If you are ready to give our church the same TLC as we do, we can’t wait to hear from you!
Our vision is to be caring people committed to building community, growing with God, and serving the world through Christ’s example.
Nature of the Position:
Reporting to the Rector and the Wardens, maintaining the cleanliness and good working order of the church building and property.
Time Requirement/Hours of Work:
This is a part-time position for 20 hours per week. All work must be conducted on the premises. Flexibility is a requirement to ensure proper coverage.
- Provide janitorial cleaning services during off-hours, ensuring clean and sanitary conditions in the entire building, including:
- cleaning all floors throughout the building
- cleaning and sanitizing all bathroom fixtures
- cleaning and disinfecting all kitchen counters and sinks
- placing all waste receptacles at the curb according to the scheduled pick-up
- Keep the building and property in a state of good repair, including:
- ordering all necessary cleaning and maintenance supplies
- performing minor repairs as appropriate
- overseeing the work of internal and external property maintenance contractors
- ensuring the grounds are kept free of debris and damage
- Manage building security, including:
- managing the distribution of keys to parishioners and renters
- maintaining and monitoring the church security camera system
- Ensure building fire safety, including:
- inspecting the fire panel daily
- inspecting the entire premises inside and outside weekly
- testing the fire alarm monthly and signing-off in the fire testing book
- inspecting fire extinguishers monthly and signing-off on tags
- Manage building rentals, including:
- referring all relevant inquiries to the Parish Administrator
- providing renters with access to the building, as required
- performing additional cleaning, as required
- Manage parking, including:
- ensuring only authorized vehicles park in the parking lot
- verifying licence plates by spot checks
- distributing appropriate warning notices
- arranging for towing, as appropriate
- Ensure the smooth operation of the building, including:
- keeping a current journal of all procedures for all duties relating to the Caretaker role
- assisting with set-up and take-down for parish events
- maintaining periodic availability for being “on call”
- assisting clergy and Wardens as required.
- Must be able to repeatedly lift 50 lbs.
- Strength to move tables and chairs
- Walk, stand, bend, kneel, stretch
Skills & Experience:
- Congeniality and good interpersonal skills
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality
- Basic understanding of plumbing and electrics
- General DIY skills, including carpentry and painting